Auxiliary honors three volunteers for 48 years of service; Scholarships given to 11 students
Wednesday, May 07, 2008
Auxiliary honors three volunteers for 48 years of service
Scholarships given to 11 students pursuing health care careers
When Terry Deis ponders the value of something, Parma Hospital’s chief operating officer gives it the “It’s a Wonderful Life” test. He tries to imagine what the world would be like without the existence of that particular thing to which he wants to assess the value. And by that measure, he says, he simply cannot imagine Parma Community General Hospital without the Auxiliary, the 385-member force that serves as the hospital staff’s helping hands and hearts.
“Without them, the hospital would be a less welcoming environment,” said Mr. Deis, speaking at the Auxiliary’s annual Recognition Luncheon on May 3. “We would lose much of our personal touch. We would lose that helping hand that enhances every program.
“In general, we would be a far less productive and efficient and friendly organization. I’m thrilled that I don’t have to experience that world without our volunteers.”
The Auxiliary awarded pins to members celebrating milestone anniversaries from 100 hours to 40 years of service. Special recognition went to three founding members who have contributed their talents to the Auxiliary for more than 48 years: Roz Boehmer-Huml of Strongsville, and Ruth Freitag of Parma and Katie Montgomery of North Royalton. Each of the three veteran volunteers received a congratulatory proclamation from Mayor Dean DePiero and the City of Parma.
Eleven junior volunteers, who donated 100 to 150 hours each to Parma Hospital, received $1,000 scholarships for choosing to pursue health care careers. Scholarship recipients, and their colleges and majors of choice, were:
• Natasha Barkett of Parma Heights, University of Akron, nursing
• Stephanie French of Parma, Marietta College, psychology
• Tianna Grattan of Parma, Cleveland State University, nursing
• Luna Ly of Parma, Ursuline College, nursing
• Angelica Nieszczur of North Royalton, Case Western Reserve University, nursing
• Shivani Patel of Parma, Kent State University, nursing
• Shalini Shastri of Parma, Cuyahoga Community College & University of Akron, nursing
• Snezhana Shvets of Parma, Cuyahoga Community College, nursing
• Melissa Trotter of Parma, Ursuline College, nursing
• Rebecca Vaughan of Parma, Case Western Reserve University, pre-med/biomedical engineering
• Kellie Walters of Parma, Kent State University, psychology
Return to Archive News