The Bariatric Center at Parma Hospital was developed to meet the special needs of people suffering from obesity and its associated medical conditions. The focus of the Bariatric Center is providing comprehensive services to patients who have chosen to lose their excess weight.
Our approach provides multiple weight loss management options, from physician supervised weight loss programs to bariatric surgery. Additionally, the Bariatric Center provides multiple forums for people to:
- Be educated about the disease of obesity;
- Learn new ways to approach healthy eating habits;
- Develop physical fitness routines;
- Gain insight from the experiences of others who are fighting to regain their lives.
MAC 2, Suite 303
6707 Powers Blvd.
Parma, OH 44129
Phone: (440) 743-2900
Fax: (440) 743-2901
For people whose dieting and exercise activities have not effectively managed their excess weight, bariatric surgery provides an effective and proven method for weight loss when other methods have failed. Gastric bypass surgery is the gold standard, whereas gastric banding is a less invasive procedure with slower but effective weight loss. Sleeve gastrectomy is an alternative restrictive procedure that has similar weight loss to gastric bypass. Surgeons work with teams, reducing surgical times and post-operative complications. Our surgeons are experienced and specially trained in laparoscopic procedures.
- Board Certified General Surgeons, who are members of the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
- Two-surgeon team for bariatric surgical procedures reduces surgical time and increases surgical efficiency
- Most procedures are performed laparoscopically, resulting in smaller incisions and quicker recovery
- Procedures are now also offered robotically with enhanced, 3D high-definition viewing, providing the most advanced option in minimally invasive surgery, resulting in fewer complications and shorter hospital stays.
- Psychological clearance for behavioral modification is performed prior to surgery
- Patient post-surgical follow-up at 1 week, 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months and 12 months
Support and Education
Support and education are cornerstones of the Bariatric Center. Bariatric Support Group meetings – held the first Monday of each month – provide education opportunities for nutrition, exercise, self-image and psychological issues of coping with excess weight. Informal meetings allow interaction with patients and members of the community to gain from their experiences. Call (440) 743-2900 for more information or to register.
- Individual or group counseling by Dieticians, Exercise Specialists and Counselors
- Monthly educational forums provide support for the lifestyle modification and ways to cope with weight loss
- A single point of access for bariatric patients to receive information
- Secure and convenient location for patients and their families